Pinawa was built in 1963 to accommodate employees of the Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment.
Pinawa means 'quiet, calm waters'. 'Whiteshell' was the first choice for a name.
In 1967 there were 1500 residents in Pinawa.
The town is a Local Government District. The first Resident Administrator - Ed Lundman.
First Mayor - Howard Gilmour
Before the shopping mall was constructed, the Bank of Montreal was located in a trailer where the Pinawa Club parking lot now sits. The post office was in a rowhouse on McGregor, and the Hudson's Bay grocery/dry goods store was in a garage on Athlone Crescent.
High school students attended classes in Lac du Bonnet while the school was being built.